MetaMask, a popular crypto wallet, can be used to link to several decentralized networks and blockchains, like Avalanche. This opens the door to accessing DApps and the DeFi infrastructure, at a very low fee and with fast transaction speed.
But how to add Avalanche to MetaMask? And how can you send Avalanche tokens to MetaMask?
Let’s find out the answers to these questions in this blog. But before that, here’s a quick overview of Avalanche blockchain and the MetaMask wallet.
Avalanche is a blockchain platform that serves as a bridge between traditional markets and DApps. Simply put, this means that the smart contracts of Avalanche support decentralized applications as well as autonomous blockchains.
The speed of transactions, the rewards system, and the ability to support several blockchain-based initiatives have made Avalanche an instant hit in the crypto world. And the platform has been growing significantly — thanks to AVAX, the native token of the platform.
However, it is not as simple as it seems, especially if you’re a first-time AVAX buyer and attempt to withdraw it from the Avalanche network. This is because you’ll be presented with three types of chains:
- C-Chain (Contract Chain)
- X-Chain (Exchange Chain)
- P-Chain (Platform Chain)
You must be extremely meticulous about selecting the correct chain as choosing the wrong one would result in a loss of funds. So, what exactly do these three types of chains mean and what’s the difference between them?
C-Chain (Contract Chain)
The Contract Chain, which serves as Avalanche’s default smart contract blockchain, allows for the development of any Ethereum-compatible smart contracts using the C-Chain’s API.
- Can be used for DeFi
- Can be used to add Avalanche to MetaMask
- The address begins with 0x (similar to an Ethereum-style address)
X-Chain (Exchange Chain)
An application of the Avalanche Virtual Machine is the X-Chain, which serves as the default asset blockchain. Clients may generate and trade new assets on the X-Chain as well as cross-subset transfers — thanks to the X-Chain API.
- Cannot be used for DeFi
- Cannot be used to add Avalanche to MetaMask
- The address begins with X-AVAX and changes with every deposit
P-Chain (Platform Chain)
The P-Chain, which uses the Snowman consensus protocol, is Avalanche’s metadata blockchain. Clients can build Subnets, add validators to Subnets, and build blockchains using the P-Chain API.
- Used to stake AVAX, serves as a validator
- Receive rewards as a validator as well as transfers from C-Chain and X-chain
- The address begins with P-AVAX
This will be particularly useful to you while you add Avalanche to MetaMask. In this context, it is worth mentioning that if you want to transfer AVAX tokens from your Avalanche wallet, these tokens have to be in your C-chain wallet.
But before we get to the steps of how to add Avalanche to MetaMask, let’s have a quick recap of what MetaMask is.
MetaMask, which supports a variety of protocols across blockchains, aids in the storage of crypto transactions, either on the web or on mobile devices (iOS or Android apps).
You need MetaMask to connect with the Avalanche blockchain. And in order to do that, you’ll have to add Avalanche to the MetaMask wallet.
To help, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to add Avalanche to MetaMask:
How to Add Avalanche to MetaMask
We’ve broken down the entire process of how to add Avalanche to MetaMask into three parts:
- Installing MetaMask
- Adding Avalanche to MetaMask
- Sending AVAX to MetaMask
- Go to the official website of MetaMask and download the MetaMask extension for Chrome or Firefox.
- After installing MetaMask, tap on “Create a Wallet” to create a new MetaMask wallet. Alternatively, you can also import your old wallet by clicking on “Import Wallet”. Please note that in order to import an older wallet you’ll need to use your seed phrase.
- Next, create a password of a minimum of 8 characters in order to help keep your wallet safe.
- The final step is to create a seed phrase for your wallet’s backup. Once you receive the seed phrase, you must note it down and keep it safe. This seed phrase will help you restore your wallet in case of theft or loss of access to your wallet.
Once MetaMask is installed, you can pin it to your browser toolbar for ease of use.
Add Avalanche to MetaMask
- Before we add Avalanche to MetaMask, the first step is to log in to MetaMask.
- Now tap on the top right circle for the Network drop-down menu. This is where you have to choose “Custom RPC.”
Note: MetaMask’s Remote Procedure Call or RPC helps to connect with serving nodes remotely on a specified network.
- On clicking “Custom RPC,” you’ll be redirected to the respective page.
- This is the most crucial stage since it is here that you’ll be entering the information needed to add Avalanche to the MetaMask wallet. So copy and paste the main-net information given below:
Network Name: Avalanche Network
New RPC URL: https://api.avax.network/ext/bc/C/rpc
ChainID: 43114 or 0xa86a
- Then hit “Save.”
The Avalanche network is now connected to your MetaMask wallet.
Sending AVAX to MetaMask
As mentioned earlier, your AVAX tokens must be in your C-Chain wallet in order to transfer them from the Avalanche wallet to MetaMask.
- Click on “Send” from the list on the left side of the screen.
- In the Source Chain section, choose “C Contract.”
- You’ll then have to add your MetaMask wallet address to the “To Address” section.
- Verify the gas cost before transferring by clicking “Confirm.”
The AVAX will be reflected in your MetaMask wallet as soon as the transaction is approved.
MetaMask was first developed for the Ethereum blockchain ecosystem. However, you can now use it on multiple blockchains such as Avalanche.
Figuring out how to add Avalanche to MetaMask manually is the first step in exploring a wide range of DeFi and DApps of other blockchain networks.
ZenLedger can help you easily calculate your crypto taxes, and also find opportunities for you to save money and trade smarter. Get started for free now or learn more about our tax professional prepared plans!