Binance is one of the well-known names in the crypto space. However, most people don't know that apart from trading, Binance also has another wing that’s actively involved in running smart contract-based apps. These two wings of Binance are Binance Chain and Binance Smart Chains (BSC) respectively. Comparable to Ethereum's ERC20, Binance Smart Chain is capable of hosting BEP20 tokens, such as $CAKE or $BAKE.
Let's learn how to add Binance Smart Chain to MetaMask for seamless transactions in BNB.
Linking Binance Chain to Metamask: What is MetaMask?
Before we get started, it's important to understand what MetaMask is. MetaMask is essentially a crypto wallet that can be used to connect to the Ethereum blockchain. Ethereum-based tokens, such as ERC20, 721, etc. are supported by the MetaMask wallet.
Primarily it is used to communicate with the Ethereum blockchain, but you can also connect MetaMask to the Binance Smart Chain network, which will enable you to make BNB transactions through MetaMask. Apart from this transaction, BNB can also be swapped for other tokens on decentralized exchanges.
Binance & MetaMask: How to Add Binance Smart Chain to MetaMask
In order to receive the benefits, the MetaMask wallet must be connected to the Smart Chain. Here are the four easy steps to connect MetaMask to BSC.
- Step 1: MetaMask Installation & Wallet Creation
- Step 2: Wallet Configuration
- Step 3: Binance Smart Chain Network
- Step 4: Funding Your Wallet
Step 1: MetaMask Installation & Wallet Creation
If you do not own a wallet, the first thing that needs to be done is to download and install the Chrome extension of MetaMask.
- Open Chrome and visit the official Metamask website and click "Download Now"
- On the download page, select "Install MetaMask on Chrome"
- After installation, you'll be asked if you're "New to MetaMask?" along with several options like "Import Wallet" and "Create A Wallet"
- If it's the first time you're using MetaMask, click on "Create A Wallet", or else, click on "Import Wallet" for your secret recovery phrase.
On selecting the former, you'll get a recovery phrase that can be used to get access to your MetaMask wallet. The verification of this recovery phrase will be the last step to wallet creation.
Step 2: Wallet Configuration
As mentioned earlier, MetaMask is used to connect with the Ethereum blockchain. But to connect MetaMask to the Binance Smart Chain DApps, certain settings need to be changed so that the wallet is focused on the nodes of the Binance Smart Chain network.
- On the Settings page, select "Network"
- To add Binance Smart Chain (BSC) manually, click "Add Network" in the upper-right corner.
- We can now proceed with two networks Smart Chain testnet and the mainnet.
Network Name: Smart Chain
New RPC URL: https://bsc-dataseed.binance.org/
Block Explorer URL: https://bscscan.com
Network Name: Smart Chain - Testnet
New RPC URL: https://data-seed-prebsc-1-s1.binance.org:8545/
Block Explorer URL: https://testnet.bscscan.com
After saving the network, you'll observe that your denominations have been converted to BNB instead of ETH.
Step 3: Binance Smart Chain Network
- Finally, you'll notice the BNB icon alongside your BNB balance.
- The "Smart Chain" dropdown menu will be displayed in the upper-right corner.
Thus, you've connected MetaMask to Binance Smart Chain (BSC).
When you want to set it back to the Ethereum network, just select the "Smart Chain" option and select "Ethereum Mainnet".
Step 4: Funding Your Wallet
Now that we've learned how to add Binance smart chain to MetaMask, it's time to make transactions using the Metamask wallet.
- Get the contract address of the token and copy it.
- Once you click on the address, you'll automatically be redirected to the BSCScan page and copy the contact address there.
- Once again open MetaMask and click on "Add Token"
- Paste the copied contract address in your MetaMask and select "Next"
- Complete the process by selecting "Add Token" How To Add Binance Smart Chain To MetaMask
Do You Need A Binance Chain Wallet to Link Binance Smart Chain to Meta Mask?
To answer in one line: No, you don't need a Binance chain wallet to be able to add Binance smart chain to MetaMask. This is because the Binance chain wallet is just a wallet that supports the Binance Chain network.
There are two ways to store your crypto assets on Binance Smart Chain-
- Either use the Binance Chain Wallet or MetaMask
- Or use the Binance platform (heads up — storing large amounts of crypto is not recommended)
What are the Benefits of Linking Metamask and Binance Smart Chain?
There are multiple reasons to connect MetaMask to BSC, here are some-
- On linking the two platforms, you enable yourself the possibility to access, explore and use all DApps on BSC
- Transferring ETH, BNB among other currencies to the Metamask wallet becomes easier and smoother
- MetaMask is one of the safest wallets with protected user data allows which enhances the control of assets
The Bottom Line
For years, MetaMask has served as the standard entry point into the vast Ethereum ecosystem. However, anyone may setup it to point at BNB Smart Chain with a minimum of fuss. As a result, they may benefit from the years of work that have gone into creating MetaMask an essential tool for anyone working with dApps.